Published on:

Florida Man Electrocuted When Wedding Ring Struck Live Wire

An unforeseen household accident ended tragically when a Florida man was electrocuted while installing a new dishwasher. According to reports, the 33-year-old victim was killed when his wedding ring came in contact with a live wire. Police in South Daytona said that the man was at his in-laws home helping to install a new dishwasher. The family was preparing to eat when the saw the victim kneeling at the appliance with his left arm extended behind the dishwasher. They noticed that he was turning red and unresponsive. They immediately pulled him away and began CPR before calling 911.

mllkODKParamedics responded to the scene and transported the victim to Halifax Health Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead. According to the family, the victim had previously installed and repaired household appliances. Investigators at the scene believe that his wedding ring came in contact with a copper wire. Though the family had turned off most of the power in the room for the installation, it was left on while he reached behind the dishwasher to check on a strange sounds that were coming from behind the new appliance.

Electrocution during home maintenance and repair is not uncommon. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International, there are more than 100,000 people treated for electrical shock every year in the United States. Death from electrical currents passing through the body can result from fatal effects on the heart, severe burns, and other organ damage. Household wiring was responsible for 11% of electrocution deaths in the United States.

To prevent electrocution, it is important to be wary of risks. There is severe risk of electrocution when handling live wires, especially for those who are inexperienced. The majority of in-home electrocution accidents involve defective electrical appliances and improper use of equipment. To prevent accidents and injuries, any faulty wires and appliance should be repaired promptly by an experienced professional. Proper maintenance is also essential and homeowners should remember that fuses cannot be replaced with those of higher amperage.

Electrical gadgets or appliances should be unplugged when not in use. All electrical appliances should be stored safely and aware from children. Electrical wires and cords should never be used if they are faulty or broken. In the event that a fire has been started by electricity, the current should be shut off before attempting to extinguish the fire with retardants. Homeowners should learn how to use and operate the main power switchboard and should know how to suspend power in the event of an emergency.

If you or someone you love has been injured by electric shock, or you have lost a loved one in an electrocution accident, it is important to consult with an experienced advocate to protect your rights. Our Fort Lauderdale personal injury attorneys are committed to protecting the rights of our clients and recovering maximum compensation in the event of an accident. We will initiate and immediate and thorough investigation to determine the cause of the accident, identify those responsible and take necessary legal action, including personal injury or wrongful death claims.

Contact Freeman Injury Law for a free and confidential consultation to discuss your rights. Call 1-800-561-7777.

More Blog Entries:

Common Child Cold Remedies Recalled by CPSC, South Florida Injury Lawyers Blog, February 18, 2013

Consumer Product Safety Commission Releases New Product Recalls to Reduce Risk of Injury in Fort Lauderdale and Elsewhere, South Florida Injury Lawyers Blog, September 20, 2011

Contact Information