Published on:

Defective Home Appliances Lead to Fire Hazards in Coral Springs with Changing of Seasons

Most of us use small heating and cooling appliances to make our homes more comfortable during dry and rainy seasons. Defective product lawyers in Weston, Tamarac, Sunrise and Hallandale Beach want to remind consumers to check for recalls on your home appliances periodically to reduce the risk of a fire hazard in your home.

With fall weather approaching soon, Florida residents can decrease the chances of a fire-related residential accident in Coral Springs or Margate if you check your appliances for mechanical problems or malfunctions. Don’t assume after months of not using them that appliances will work properly and not cause a fire hazard which can lead to serious burn injuries or smoke inhalation while you sleep.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recently re-announced a recall of LG Electronics Tianjin Appliance Company’s Goldstar and Comfort-Aire dehumidifiers. There have been approximately 98,000 units sold that could pose a fire or burn hazard when the power connector for the compressor short circuits.

The first recall was announced 22 months ago, but only 2 percent of the units recalled have been sent a repair kit to the consumer who purchased it. The original recall was made after 11 reported incidents, but since then another 16 complaints have been voiced resulting in over $1 million in property damage in residents throughout the U.S. including Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Ohio.

Some of the retailers selling the units include Home Depot, Walmart and Ace Hardware which were sold for $140 to $150 between January 2007 and June 2008. Consumers are urged to stop using the units and contact LG Electronics for a free repair kit or authorized service center that will repair the unit for you.

Dehumidifiers are not the only small home appliance consumers need to worry about when it comes to fire hazards leading to burn injuries or smoke inhalation. The Home Safety Council warns consumers to use caution around stoves, space heaters, furnaces, grills and generators to name a few. Homeowners can either take a seasonal approach to safety or a room-by-room approach but appliances should be checked routinely to prevent the risk of a fire taking place in your home.

Home Safety Council provides these general fire prevention tips to homeowners:

-Never leave a stove unattended, especially when fueled by gas. Items such as dishtowels, paper or plastic can catch fire quickly and cause severe damage before putting the fire out.
-Keep grills a minimum of 10 feet away from the house or other objects and never allow children or pets near them when they are lit.
-Store lighters or matches in a secure cabinet which is out of reach from small children.
-Always turn off space heaters while you are sleeping or when you leave the room.
-Furnaces, stoves used for heating (wood or coal) and central air units should be inspected annually. Chimney maintenance and inspection is also important to do annually.
-Never store open gasoline containers inside a garage or basement. Vapors can cause an explosion with just a tiny spark.
-Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home. Check them monthly to ensure they are working and replace the batteries annually.

If you or a loved one has been injured in a fire-related accident caused by a defective or recalled product, contact the injury lawyers at Freeman, Mallard, Sharp & Gonzalez, LLC for a free consultation to discuss your claim. We represent victims and their families in Miami, Oakland Park, Pembroke Pines and all of South Florida so call 1-800-561-7777 today.

More Blog Entries:

Fall Hazards from Defective Products Can Lead to Serious Injuries for Families in Palm Beach, Elsewhere, South Florida Injury Lawyers Blog, August 30, 2011.

Contact Information