Published on:

Property Damage Options When Involved in an Accident

The first thing you feel after being in a car accident where no one got injured is relief that the accident was not worse than it was. Only then do the worries about finances start. How much will it cost to fix your car? Will you be able to get to your job while your car is being repaired, and if so, how much will you have to pay for alternative transportation, such as rideshare rides or a rental car? Do you have the money to pay your insurance deductible? How much will your car insurance premiums increase as a result of the accident? If you have to go to court, how much time and money will that cost? Your options for the most cost-effective way to pay for property damage vary according to the circumstances of the accident. Freeman Injury Law can help you choose the best course of action.

Florida Car Insurance Basics

Everyone who registers a vehicle in Florida must have two kinds of insurance. The first is Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance, which covers medical bills and injury-related lost income only; it does not pay for property damage. The other is property damage liability insurance, which pays for repairs to the other driver’s car if the accident is your fault. What do you do about repairing your own car, then? It depends.

If the Other Driver Has Reputable Insurance Coverage

In the best-case scenario, you and the other driver exchange contact information and insurance information. The other driver has insurance provided by a well-known insurance company. Their insurance certainly got its good reputation for paying for property damage that resulted from your accident promptly, and even paying for your rental car if you need one. If the damage was extensive, it is still safest to hire a car accident lawyer to communicate with the insurance company on your behalf, especially if you got injured.

Uninsured or Underinsured Drivers

All drivers should have car insurance, but in reality, some do not. If the other driver does not have insurance, you should report the accident to your own insurance company. Your insurance may try to get money out of the other driver, but they are usually not successful. You also have the right to take the other driver to small claims court, but it might be more trouble than it is worth.

Vehicles Owned by Companies and Governments

What happens if the person who crashes into your car was driving a commercial vehicle or a government-owned one, such as a city bus or mail truck? The good news is that companies and public entities always carry insurance. The bad news is that getting their insurance to pay for your vehicle damage is sometimes harder than it sounds. You might need a lawyer’s help to get

the company, city, or county to pay for your car repairs.

Freeman Injury Law Helps Drivers with Property Damage Claims

Freeman Injury law will help you find a way to pay for the vehicle damage in your car accident. Contact us today about your vehicular accident case for a free consultation at (800) 561-7777


Rafael Gonzalez, Esq.

Freeman Injury Law, P.A.


Contact Information