We Are Available for Telephone and Video Consults.
Published on:

North Miami Beach couple poisoned by CO exposure from gas leak spotlights South Florida premises liability and defective product issues

After being discovered unconscious by their son, a North Miami Beach couple was airlifted to Mercy Hospital where they are being treated in a hyperbaric chamber for carbon monoxide poisoning, CBS-4 reports. A spokesman said the home was equipped with multiple gas appliances and high levels of the odorless, colorless – often deadly – gas was detected in the home.

South Florida premises liability lawyers and defective product attorneys know that with cooler weather approaching, South Florida residents will be starting heating units, relying on gas-burning warming units and using fireplaces that have sat dormant for months. Now is the time for homeowners, property managers, landlords and residential home facility managers to test fire alarms, sprinklers and CO detectors as well as perform annual safety and maintenance checks on gas-burning equipment.

More than 30,000 Americans are injured and more than 4,500 are killed in fire-related accidents each year. Carbon monoxide poisoning – also known as the “silent killer” – sickens more than 10,000 Americans each year, claiming the lives of 1,500 due to accidental exposure. The Environmental Protection Agency identifies the following safety tips and CO poisoning indicators:

CO Poisoning Symptoms:

~ headaches

~ confusion

~ nausea

~ dizziness

~ unconsciousness and death

~ in milder cases of exposure, victim may complain of flu-like symptoms

To mitigate effects of carbon monoxide exposure:

~ leave the environment immediately and seek fresh air – DO NOT remain indoors if you think you may be suffering from carbon monoxide intoxication

~ seek medical attention

To prevent carbon monoxide exposure:

~ have all fuel-burning appliances inspected by a professional on a regular basis

~ make sure ventilation systems are properly maintained and open

~ never leave a car running in an enclosed space for any period of time

~ never use gas-burning lawn equipment in an enclosed space

~ don’t use a charcoal grill indoors or sleep in a room with a fuel-burning space heater

The West Palm Beach premises liability and Fort Lauderdale defective product attorneys at Freeman & Mallard know that a serious or fatal injury involving premises liability or a manufacturing defect can happen almost anywhere. Property owners and manufacturers have an obligation to tenants, guests and consumers to ensure a safe experience and environment. If you have been injured or someone you know has been injured or killed due to a defective product or a negligent landlord, contact our offices in Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, and Ft. Pierce /Port St. Lucie to schedule a no-obligation appointment to discuss your case at 1-800-529-2368.

Contact Information